Saturday, January 28, 2012

Discoteccas, Museums, and Saldis!

Okay, in my attempt not to have to blog a novel every time I get on here, I'm writing again today! Last night Kaylen an I had our first night out in Italy! We decided to get an early start because we were bored and already dressed so we left our apartment at 9:30.  After walking around for a while and not finding anywhere to party, we started asking locals where the bars were.  This is how our convos went...

me: "scuzzi"
Italian Pablo: "si, bella chao!"
me: "english?"
Italian Pablo: "ah American! California, yes?"
me: "no, done va vino o discotecca?"
Italian Pablo: "ah discotecca, come with me!"
me: "uh...no, chao"

Anyway, after several of these conversations we ended up following a nice group of Pablos and they took us to the Florence version of 6th street in Austin.  We started bar hopping and ended up becoming part of the "pub crawl" which meant we got free shots and drinks at certain places (for the adults reading this, they were shots of orange juice!).  Talking to the locals was so much fun, especially because Italian guys are so friendly.  Definitely a nice change of pace from frat guys at TCU! Around 1 am we decided we were discotecca-ed out and started trying to make our way home.  Unfortunately we didn't really pay attention when we were being lead to the piazza with the bars so then we had to start asking other Pablos where the Ponte Vecchio was because our apartment is right next to it! 30 minutes later we FINALLY made it home (oh and Kaylen convinced me not to take a jacket so I was freeeeezzzinnnnggg... the Pablos said I was crazy!) and were starving.  Unfortunately for us, Florence is not like Fort Worth and there is not a Fuzzys, Waterburger, or 1873 to go to for late night cravings.  Just another reminder that I am NOT in the states anymore! Here are some pictures from our night out!

Karaoke at one of the bars, apparently Britney Spears is popular in Italy too! 


I ran into Julie in the pub crawl... small world!!


Today we woke up around 1:30 which was weird because I realized my parents were probably getting up around the same time! Then we headed out to be tourists for the day and check out some museums. The Italian government provides all American students studying in Italy with a Museum card which is awesome, so we can get into any museum in Florence for free!  We went to the Piazza de Pitti (which is right by our apartment) and has an old Medici mansion that has been converted into several museums.  Unfortunately, we couldn't take pictures inside, but I took some cool exterior shots:

one wing of the museum 

me and my new Italian boyfriend!

My favorite thing in the museum was a display of old jewlrey from royals and the Medici family.  Little did we know, but David Yurman totally knocked off the medici jewelry.  There were bracelets that looked almost identical to Yurman bracelets! Its funny how things come back into style 700 years later!

Since we got a late start, the museum closed around 4 and we were kicked out.  I did learn the Italian word for "exit" though since the guards kept saying it to us! Then we headed to check out some saldis (italian for sales)!!  I don't know if its a European thing or what, but literally every store has a saldi right now.  We went to H&M, the leather market and a boutique but didn't find anything worth the euros (especially since I can get H&M in North Park for the dollar not euro price)!  Then as we were coming out of the stores, we started hearing yelling and chanting... it was an Italian protest! I asked the guy working in the Tabaccaria what it was and he said it was "commies" but I'm not really sure. Here are some pictures: 


I want to translate this sign, but haven't yet!

Were about to head and get some Gusta Pizza again (I know... I'm a fatty!) and then go out tonight with some new friends! I'll let yall know how it goes! Heres a picture of Gusta Pizza to make yall jealous :)


TONS AND TONS of love from Florence! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment