Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pre-Italy Excitement!


Hey Everyone!
I've never been one to blog, but due to many suggestions to do so, mainly from my friend’s moms, all of you will get to hear ALL about my semester abroad in Florence Italy this spring.  LUCKY YOU!  Unlike most students, my decision to study abroad was pretty last minute due to my recent change of major. If you are a really devoted reader, you can read the long story here:

 I applied to TCU (where I am currently a sophomore) as a fashion merchandising major.  Midway through my second semester at TCU,  I made the decision to switch my major from fashion to nursing.  Upon talking to the nursing advisors, I was informed that because TCU took more nursing students my year than previous years, the likelihood of me having a spot in clinicals in Spring 2012 with the rest of my class was slim.  If there wasn't a spot, I would have to start clinicals in the fall of my junior year (instead of spring of my sophomore year) and thus graduate a semester late.  While not ideal, I decided that if this were to happen, I would study abroad spring 2012 instead of just taking random classes that semester at TCU to fill time.  In the fall, I applied for clincals and was again told that there would probably not be room for me in the spring. After talking to my parents again, I began looking more seriously into studying abroad.  Because I started my research late, I really only looked into the programs that TCU already had set up in London, Seville, and Florence.  After looking at the dates of the different programs, I quickly narrowed my decision to Florence because this is the only program that ends in time to make it to my cousins wedding (I will have to fly directly to Philadelphia from Florence for the wedding!!).  As I began to do more research on Florence, I became more and more excited at the possibility of studying abroad.  After many hour-long skype conversations with my parents, I decided that regardless of if I got into clinicals in the spring or not, I was going to study abroad spring 2012 and graduate a semester late.  By the way, thanks mom and dad for supporting me with this financially and emotionally!!!  Anyway, my mom mailed me my passport and when I went to pick it up guess what was waiting for me in my mailbox... my acceptance letter for clinicals in the spring!! It was definitely a curveball I was not expecting, but I stuck with my decision to study abroad and as the semester has gone on, I am still sure I made the correct decision.  I am SERIOUSLY impressed with those who just read that… didn’t realize how long it would be, sorry!

The short version is that I want to study abroad but due to my major (nursing) I have to take an extra semester to do it. Thankfully, my parents are awesome and are allowing me to pursue my dream of a semester in Europe!

Now I just have the rest of my winter break (which I am NOT wishing away, its been so relaxing and wonderful) to prepare and pack for Florence. I've never packed for a 4 month trip before, but seeing as packing for a weekend trip usually presents a challenge, I am not looking forward to the few days before my departure.  Assuming I survive packing my life into one (YES ONE!) suite case and make it to Florence in one piece, I will blog to you all about my daily happenings, whether you like it or not; so stay tuned!!

- Laura

2 comments:

  1. So when are you leaving?
    This is great news! Florence is very nice, be sure to bring a good camera with you.
    Do you plan to do a trip around Europe as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I just saw this! I got here about 2 days ago... and I have a crappy digital one but it works okay! I definitely want to travel around, I think I'm going to Paris in February! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete